Bon Echo 2020 Season and COVID-19 Changes

Bon Echo is now open! Trip participation is subject to protocols to comply with new government COVID-related regulations.  We thank you for your patience as our Bon Echo committee worked tirelessly to determine how to open as safely as possible at this time, a challenging feat, but one we remained committed to overcoming.  

We are running trips mid-week (Wednesday to Friday) and on weekends from July 17th to early October!  Sign up begins at 9am on Saturday July 11, 2020! Please check out our new Bon Echo sign-up calendar for details.

This year’s season at Bon Echo will look very different from the ones we have all come to love. We had to make many changes to meet government-required physical distancing rules. Our Bon Echo committee has worked with Frontenac Public Health to ensure the re-opening of Bon Echo is compliant with government regulation and the rules set out in Stage 3 of re-opening the province. The new format will help us do our part in keeping our members and communities safe at this time, while allowing us to use the property and boat to access the Bon Echo cliffs.

 

We ask that you read the below list of changes in full before deciding to sign up for a weekend:

  • The hut has reopened with a limit of 10 people inside for regular eating and cooking. The sauna remains closed. The club is providing a portable stove for people who still wish to cook at the picnic tables. You may want to bring your own camping stove for personal convenience. The barbecue is available for shared use.
  • All cooking, eating and dish-washing will take place outdoors.
    • You must bring dinnerware, cutlery and cooking equipment.
    • You must bring your own camping stove. The barbecue is available, with a side burner, for shared use.
  • We will be open for mid-week camping, conditional on a custodian being available.
  • Participation will be limited to 11 climbers and 1 custodian in order to comply with government limits on group gathering sizes.
  • Social distancing measures must also be practiced on the boat. There will be a maximum of one driver and two passengers in the boat unless the passengers are from the same household/social bubble. Masks must be worn on the boat, unless everyone in the boat (including the custodian) is from the same household.
  • There is a new booking process. While in the past you signed up by contacting the custodians, this year requests for spots must be emailed to besignup@alpineclubtoronto.ca. Reservation requests will be accepted on a first come, first served basis and any excess requests go on a waiting list. You may apply for only two trips in total in July and August due to limited spots. A spot is not secured until paid for. For a calendar of trips and sign-up details please visit the signup page.
  • There is a new cost. Bon Echo costs money to run and the limited amount of participants means we can’t afford to keep it open at last year’s rates. The new camping fee will be $30 a day. This is to be paid through PayPal to the Toronto Section. There will be no payments accepted at the hut.
  • Only ACC members can participate. We will be checking membership status upon sign-up. 
  • Social distancing and sanitizing guidelines have been developed. Standard social distancing protocols apply. Everyone must stay 2 meters apart; if that’s not possible, you must wear a mask. You must bring your own mask and hand sanitizer. Social distancing and masks also apply on park property.

A full list of protocols have been developed and documented and are available on our website:

You must read these documents and understand them fully before coming to Bon Echo. If you still have any questions, please contact the Bon Echo team at questions@alpineclubtoronto.ca

We recognize these are a lot of changes and than you in advance for your co-operation and continued support of Bon Echo.  We are doing what we can to keep this tradition going through the pandemic.  These protocols may change as the government loosens/tightens regulations through out the season, so please stay tuned for any revisions we may be making as the situation evolves.