- This event has passed.
Bon Echo long weekend
August 1 - August 3
Bon Echo long weekend
Custodians: Rob Ramirez and Krista Bowman
Saturday, Aug. 1 – Sunday, Aug. 3
The Bon Echo property has reopened on a limited scale and those wishing to camp and climb should read the revised protocols closely.
• There can only be 12 people on the site at one time. Owing to this cap, bookings this summer are limited to paid-up ACC members only.
• To reserve a camping spot, send your request to ACCBE.firstname.lastname@example.org. Requests will be accepted first come, first served — any excess requests go on a waiting list. A spot is not secured until paid for.
• Custodians will not be handling booking requests so do not send them any. Their contact details are simply for arranging pickup times and other logistical matters.
• The new hut fee is $30 a day. This is to be paid through PayPal to the Toronto Section. There will be a conditional refund policy. There will be no payments accepted at the hut.
• Until the government says otherwise, the sauna must remain closed for regular use. Swimmers can use it as a change room, one person at a time.
• Standard social distancing protocols apply both on the ACC property and in the park. Everyone must stay 2 meters apart. If that’s not possible, you must wear a mask. You must bring your own mask and hand sanitizer.
• Only one driver and two passengers are allowed in the boat unless the passengers are from the same household/social bubble. Masks must be worn in the boat.
• Copies of the full protocols and other relevant documents are available online. You are strongly advised to read them.
The cliff at Bon Echo is in a beautiful setting, rising 300 feet out of Mazinaw Lake. There is a large number of existing trad routes, from 5.0 to 5.12. However, there is no sport climbing or top-roping.
Because the cliff lies within a provincial park, there are rules that must be observed (mandatory helmets is one). Make yourself familiar with them. As well, the annual peregrine closing is currently in effect. All routes from The Slab (#23) north are closed until further notice.
The ACC hut is on the far side of the lake, and most climbers get there by the club boat. Usual pickup times at the public dock on North Mazinaw Heights Rd. are 10:30 p.m. Friday and 10:30 a.m. Saturday. Other times must be arranged ahead of time with the custodian.
CUSTODIAN: Contact Rob Ramirez at (416) 536-0633 or email@example.com to let him know when you are arriving or if you’re running late. (Do not try to book a spot through him.)
HUT FEES: $30 per day/night for paid-up ACC members. Fees include boat transport to the dock and cliff. Unfortunately non-members cannot book spots while pandemic limitations are in place.
TRIP CLASSIFICATION: B/C
WAIVER: You must read and understand it ahead of time and sign a colour copy in ink on arrival at the dock: 2020 waiver