The Toronto Section of the ACC as well as the other 24 regional sections across Canada survive and thrive on the backs of many hard working volunteers. It would not be stretching the truth to say that our trip leaders play one of the most important roles in providing the events that make people join the Alpine Club in the first place. We are all about playing in high places and our trip leaders take us rock climbing, ice climbing, skiing/snowboarding and mountaineering. They share their skills with us and help us grow and learn. They take pleasure in mentoring others and watch like proud parents as their prodigies rise to the challenge and become leaders themselves. Our new leaders then mentor others and the circle continues…
One of our priorities as a club is to provide opportunities and support in the development of our existing leaders as well as encouraging potential new leaders to come forward and start down the road of leadership training. In 2007, the Toronto Section received a generous donation from the family of Gunter Stefan to be put towards our leadership development programs. This donation kick-started a number of programs and set us in a direction that has resulted in a busy calendar of events . But even though there’s lots going on, we have to look ahead to the future. We can’t sit still because we will always need more trip leaders.
One other way the Toronto Section helps our trip leaders in their training and development is by providing financial subsidies to help defer the cost of course fees. Subsidies as high as 50% of our course fees are available to eligible participants. To be eligible, we want to see a history of involvement with the section in a volunteer capacity and we’d like to know that you are interested in giving back to the section as a trip leader in the future.
If you’ve ever been out on one of our climbing days and thought that trip leading is something that you would be interested in, please get in touch with our leadership committee. If you just want to know more, one of our committee members would be happy to chat with you further. Here are just some of the courses the Toronto Section has run or hosted or participated in over the past:
- Wilderness First Aid – all Toronto Section members are invited to participate and the Toronto Section will rebate up to 50% of the course fee
- Rock climbing leadership courses – financial subsidies for the course fee available and provided to eligible participants
- Rock Solid Leadership – a leadership course for technical rock climbing held in a mountain environment -financial subsidies for the course fee available and provided to eligible participants
- The North Face summer and winter – a leadership course hosted by the National office -financial subsidies for the course fee available and provided to eligible participants
- Winter Mountaineering Leadership Course – financial subsidies for the course fee available and provided to eligible participants
- Navigation skills – all Toronto Section members are invited to participate and the Toronto Section will rebate up to 50% of the course fee
The Trip Leader’s Handbook is used by Section leaders as a guide for all aspects of climbing, skiing/snowboarding, hiking, mountaineering, ice climbing and all active outdoor Section activities. The benefits are primarily for the member’s enjoyment of the activity as well as managing risk and creating a safe rewarding experience.
The Toronto Section Trip Leaders handbook can be found at ACC Toronto Trip Leader Manual
Please feel free to get in touch with us at email@example.com