The Alpine Club of Canada, Toronto Section, working together with the Ontario Alliance of Climbers (formerly Ontario Access Coalition), is pleased to report that following productive discussions with the landowner, ice climbing will once again be tolerated at Bow Lake.
Tolerated = Climbing access is informally accepted. Tread lightly.
Help us preserve access by abiding by the following:
- The property in question is not being maintained, and climbers must voluntarily assume any and all risks associated with use of the property. There are warning signs at the site to this effect.
- Climbing is dangerous. All climbers must agree to the terms of the liability notice posted at the base of the icefalls. A copy of this notice is included below. If you do not agree to the terms of the liability notice, you are not permitted to access the Bow Lake premises.
- As always, good conduct amongst climbers is necessary to maintain good relations with our partners, the local landowners and their neighbors. Access is a privilege, not a right. Abide by the climber’s code: respect the dangers, respect the environment, respect others and respect access. http://www.rockrespect.ca/p/climbers-code_20.html
- Climbers should never park along the side of highway, which is a danger to traffic, obstructs snow clearing equipment, and creates problems with our neighbors – the local landowners.
- The local officials at the Faraday Township Fire Station have generally tolerated climbers parking in their large, plowed, lot. When parking, DO NOT obstruct the garage and ensure the fire trucks can easily get out and turn around. Park in the corner of the parking lot – far from the garage and trucks.
- We have spoken with the local landowner, and foot access onto Bow lake from Hwy 28 via the boat ramp on the east side of Bow lake is currently tolerated. The boat ramp is not being maintained in the winter, and climbers must voluntarily assume any and all risks associated with use of the Boat ramp. Tread lightly.
NOTICE TO BOW LAKE PREMISES VISITORS
ASSUMPTION OF RISKS, WAIVER OF CLAIMS & RELEASE OF LIABILITY
RELEASEES LIABILITY IS EXCLUDED BY THE TERMS OF THESE CONDITIONS.
PLEASE READ CAREFULLY
AS A CONDITION OF THE ENTRY AND USE OF THE BOW LAKE PREMISES ALL VISITORS AGREE AS FOLLOWS:
- TO ASSUME ANY AND ALL RISK OF PERSONAL INJURY, DEATH OR PROPERTY LOSS resulting from any cause whatsoever, including but not limited to the INHERENT RISKS OF ICE CLIMBING, HIKING, SKIING, AND ALL OTHER RECREATIONAL ACTIVITIES; THE USE OF OR PRESENCE ON THE BOW LAKE PREMISES OR TRAVEL BEYOND THE BOW LAKE PREMISES BOUNDARY; COLLISION WITH NATURAL OR MAN-MADE OBJECTS OR OTHER VISITORS; OR NEGLIGENCE on the part of the Bow Lake Premises owners and EWL Management Ltd, and their affiliates and their respective directors, officers, employees, agents, representatives, successors and assigns (all of whom are hereafter collectively referred to as”The Releasees.
- TO WAIVE ANY AND ALL CLAIMS that the visitor has or may have in the future against the Releasees; and
- TO RELEASE THE RELEASEES from any and all liability for any loss, damage, expense or injury including death that I may suffer, or that my next of kin may suffer resulting from either my use of or my presence on the Bow Lake Premises or travel beyond the Bow Lake Premises boundary, DUE TO ANY CAUSE WHATSOEVER, INCLUDING NEGLIGENCE, BREACH OF CONTRACT, OR BREACH OF ANY STATUTORY OR OTHER DUTY OF CARE, INCLUDING ANY DUTY OF CARE OWED UNDER THE OCCUPIERS’ LIABILITY ACT, ON THE PART OF THE RELEASEES, AND ALSO INCLUDING THE FAILURE ON THE PART OF THE RELEASEES TO SAFEGUARD OR PROTECT ME FROM THE RISKS, DANGERS AND HAZARDS REFERRED TO ABOVE.