Start to the Bon Echo Season is Delayed

We regret to be cancelling climbing at Bon Echo on the Victoria Day long weekend. However, the extreme flooding on the Mazinaw Lake this spring has cost us two crucial weeks in the renovation process. The hut is still a construction site and the large volunteer work party set for the May 11 weekend had to be moved back to the long weekend.

The flooding hobbled Smart’s Marina’s efforts to get its docks set up, so we couldn’t have our boat in the water as early as we were hoping to. This had a domino effect. The builder lost two weeks of construction time, so the hut does not have a working kitchen at the moment.

We are very close to finishing and hope to get our volunteers out on the long weekend to finish off the renovation. We hope to start the Bon Echo very soon – so stay tuned! We are also planning a big party on the June 1st weekend to celebrate the completion of the hut

If anyone is still interested in volunteering to help with the final push to get the hut ready, please contact David Henderson at or Geoff Schimmel at

Thank you for your patience.

Comments are closed.